1994-11-28 - phone security

Header Data

From: Rick Busdiecker <rfb@lehman.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 67b71fc1d201ac23884f0cf900331a54b81c2e7e8b23e5ed5a023b97719c4548
Message ID: <9411281410.AA03562@cfdevx1.lehman.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 28 Nov 94 06:11:42 PST

Raw message

From: Rick Busdiecker <rfb@lehman.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 94 06:11:42 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: phone security

We have a neighbor who likes to use a scanner to listen in on portable
phones, baby monitors, etc..  While I've never used portable phones,
I've gotten into a number of discussions with other neighbors about
appropriate ways to deal with the situation -- most people don't
appreciate my suggestion that they simply stop broadcasting their
private conversations (!)

Anyway, in a conversation on Saturday I said that without encryption,
you basically have no privacy with a portable phone.  Several people
said that ``900 MHz'' portables are safe from scanners.  Does someone
know more about this situation?  What would be required to eavesdrop
on one of these phones?

Also, my understanding of the legal situation is that listening in on
cellular phones is considered wiretap (at least assuming that intent
can be demonstrated), but that most other broadcasting phones are not
protected, i. e. my nosy neighbor's actions are merely slimy, not
criminal.  Is my understanding accurate?

			Rick

Thread