1994-11-19 - Re: I Like ASCII, not MIME and Other Fancy Crap

Header Data

From: shamrock@netcom.com (Lucky Green)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7758d004a967ef0697fb3f89fc979177d93bc0d3ff4b13ad9a9cb36b77b88fce
Message ID: <199411190942.BAA27038@netcom20.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 19 Nov 94 01:42:01 PST

Raw message

From: shamrock@netcom.com (Lucky Green)
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 94 01:42:01 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: I Like ASCII, not MIME and Other Fancy Crap

Tim wrote:
[various reasons why television is a bad thing because it can't be received
on a radio deleted <g>]

>Me, I think I'm just going on a personal crusade to simplify things.
>Computers should not be making my life _vastly more complicated_.

Amen. They also should enable people to communicate in more and better ways
with more people. MIME, HTML, Maven (phone calls over the net for free),
CU-SeeMe (video over the Net for free,) and similar tools are first
examples of how these goals might be achieved. I love email, but I would
also like to be able to see and hear from some of the friends I made all
over the world.

>One last note: I read my mail on-line, interspersed with reading
>NetNews. Although I have Eudora, and of course use it, I don't use it
>for routine work (for one thing, it may take 20 minutes to download my
>mail, so I tend to use it when I'm heading out to do something else,
>or to go to sleep, etc.). So all the "solutions" that involve using
>Eudora are not my cup of tea. That's just the way it is.

Twenty minutes for your mail? How fast a modem do you use?

As for solutions, the only solutions there are and ever will be involve you
getting of that terminal server. The evolution of the Internet will make
ASCII terminals obsolete. If it hasn't already done so.

Let's take that poll of what people use. I am curious.

Happy netting,

P.S. If anybody here on the list wants to know how to turn their regular
shell account into a SLIP account, email me for info or read
alt.dcom.slip-emulators. Please don't ask about it on the list.

-- Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
   PGP encrypted mail preferred.

Thread