1994-11-27 - Re: WWW “remailers”

Header Data

From: michael shiplett <michael.shiplett@umich.edu>
To: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
Message Hash: 838dc52e85b840d7b96327dad8f0f3280a9ceae3991ffe100a5ba2a71b93fa50
Message ID: <199411271449.JAA11832@truelies.rs.itd.umich.edu>
Reply To: <199411270704.XAA21510@jobe.shell.portal.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-11-27 14:49:40 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 27 Nov 94 06:49:40 PST

Raw message

From: michael shiplett <michael.shiplett@umich.edu>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 94 06:49:40 PST
To: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
Subject: Re: WWW "remailers"

"hf" == Hal  <hfinney@shell.portal.com> writes:

hf> Interestingly, the standard nntpd (nntp daemon, the master server
hf> which runs on a site which offers web pages) from CERN includes
hf> proxying capability automatically! All you have to do is to add a
hf> few lines to the configuration file. If this idea proves sound,
hf> perhaps some people running nntpd will enable proxies and serve as
hf> "remailer operators of the web".

  Thanks for the overview of www proxies. One correction--nntp is the
network news (USENET) transport protocol, http is the hypertext (www)
transport protocol. Upon first reading, I was confused about how news
admins could become ``remailer operators of the web''. If you really
did mean to use ``nntp'', then I'm still confused.

michael

Thread