1994-11-30 - The pain of encrypting email

Header Data

From: dmandl@bear.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 959646e44e906560e7f7d24eadec82576617ac1cf9e2f9680eb25d16acadd64b
Message ID: <9411301445.AA21875@yeti.bsnet>
Raw Date: Wed, 30 Nov 94 06:58:30 PST

Raw message

From: dmandl@bear.com
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 94 06:58:30 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: The pain of encrypting email

> Jonathan Rochkind wrote:
>
> > Because premail makes it incredibly easy to use PGP on a unix box.

"Incredibly easy" is an exaggeration, since the docs themselves
say that you need root privileges to install premail properly.
The alternative is using premail in stand-alone mode, i.e., entering
your mail line-by-line a la the generic mail program!  Now, I think
premail is beautiful, but the bottom line is that at this point it's
not something I can actually use, like most email-encrypting tools I
hear about, alas.

   --Dave.

Thread