1994-11-17 - re: changes to remailer@jpunix.com

Header Data

From: Karl Lui Barrus <klbarrus@owlnet.rice.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 963c4ea2e827d0e0571a1ae0fe06a4c8de7409f4091c9a19c8e25d41fd563649
Message ID: <9411172231.AA27739@fast.owlnet.rice.edu>
Raw Date: Thu, 17 Nov 94 14:31:42 PST

Raw message

From: Karl Lui Barrus <klbarrus@owlnet.rice.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 94 14:31:42 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: re: changes to remailer@jpunix.com

I read about some changes that John Perry made to his remailer, since
it is being abused.  (Sorry to hear it!)

I thought he said he is doing source blocking (I deleted the message
and can't check.)  Is this true?  Were there no hops between the
abuser and the remailer?  How can you prevent the abuser from just
chaining through different paths to reach your remailer and continuing
to use it?  Or am I remembering incorrectly ;)

Random Factor suggested (among other things)
> * require encryption for incoming messages.

Requiring encryption is OK, as long as you don't require the remailing
header and message body to be encrypted together.  If you do, like the
extropia remailer does, then you can't form reply blocks that include
such a remailer (since the reply block is created by a sender who
obviously doesn't have the message body that his recipient will use
the reply block to respond to).

Thread