1994-12-16 - Low power/bandwidth machines

Header Data

From: xpat@vm1.spcs.umn.edu
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 042c909963d8f1207cf5bc7cd9cd4de47786294aeadeb358640323fbc6334568
Message ID: <9412161650.AA08136@toad.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 16 Dec 94 08:50:59 PST

Raw message

From: xpat@vm1.spcs.umn.edu
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 94 08:50:59 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Low power/bandwidth machines

"JEFF LICQUIA (CEI)" <JLICQUIA@mhc.uiuc.edu> writes:

>this from work, but it's running into bandwidth problems.  There is no
>local SLIP provider that provides to home users.  Thus, I am trapped in
>a VT100 environment, where a shell would be a great luxury.  If and whe
>I get SLIP, I'll have to do it on a 386SX/20 with 4M of RAM, not exactl
>your speed demon kind of machine.

>1.  While I, too, have experienced the head rush that comes with fully
>graphical interfaces to high-bandwidth Net, I am also painfully aware o
>the reality that too many people are stuck with less.  Given a few week,

If you have access to a SLIP line, but frustrated with perhaps less of
a machine than you would like, give MINUET a try.

It is a DOS based tool designed for students with cheap/old computers
so they can access the Internet. It includes embedded POPmail,
news, ftp, telnet, ping etc.

It is available anonymous FTP from

boombox.micro.umn.edu

   /pub/pc/minuet/beta16/minuarc.exe

or /pub/pc/minuet/shaky/minuarc.exe  <--beta17

SLIP software that goes with it is at
/pub/pc/slip/latest/sliparc.exe

The beta17 has caused no problems for me yet. Beta17 has some
performance advantages. A 386 should be no problem at all.

P M Dierking xpat@vm1.spcs.umn.edu

Thread