1994-12-02 - GATT and crypto? (Was: Re: using us crypto sw outside usa)

Header Data

From: Michael Handler <grendel@netaxs.com>
To: adam.philipp@ties.org
Message Hash: 0603772a62faa0b5447364d6ca84418f773f121601d802029bf6b47b3379e5d4
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.941202082514.2459C-100000@unix3.netaxs.com>
Reply To: <199412021035.FAA11778@bb.hks.net>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-02 13:28:33 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 2 Dec 94 05:28:33 PST

Raw message

From: Michael Handler <grendel@netaxs.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 94 05:28:33 PST
To: adam.philipp@ties.org
Subject: GATT and crypto? (Was: Re: using us crypto sw outside usa)

On Fri, 2 Dec 1994 adam.philipp@ties.org wrote:

> >I was wondering what is the legal status for using rsaref outside usa.
> >Is it legal or not?
>
> Depends on whether RSA has a patent in that country... I know of no
> countries besides the U.S.A. that have a patent on RSA. Using exact code may
> also violate copyright...that is a tougher matter to prove...but copyright
> treaties allow some level of international protection...use with care.

	Anyone know how GATT would affect this, if passed? ABC News ran a
short blurb a few nights ago about how it contained intellectual property
provisions, and that patents would be honored worldwide. (?) What effect
would this have on the distribution of PGP, and other software that uses
RSAREF?

--
Michael Handler <grendel@netaxs.com>                        Philadelphia, PA
Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics           s.s.y.g-l-b co-moderator

Thread