1994-12-20 - Re: freedom+diversity=noise

Header Data

From: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@netcom.com>
To: mkj@october.ducktown.org
Message Hash: 07e58cb18386f481bee6d688af02e29f5145f04cb6b3af50969e6b149aaf5162
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9412192248.A9590-0100000@netcom5>
Reply To: <199412192215.RAA04833@october.ducktown.org>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-20 06:10:37 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 19 Dec 94 22:10:37 PST

Raw message

From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 94 22:10:37 PST
To: mkj@october.ducktown.org
Subject: Re: freedom+diversity=noise

On Mon, 19 Dec 1994 mkj@october.ducktown.org wrote:
>                  FREEDOM + DIVERSITY = NOISE

> Where "noise" is defined as any behavior(s) which a significant
> portion of the group finds undesirable.

The problem is not freedom and diversity, but assholes.

Those who did the most for freedom, got the pants flamed off them.

Namely TC May, and Netscape.

Tim was flamed for not having the latest and greatest hardware  --
thereby allegedly holding back the revolution, though his hardware
and software is typical of 99% of the net, as I determined by
looking at the way in which binaries are posted.

Netscape was flamed because the first encryption that they
implemented was not in accord with cypherpunk priorities (It was
in accord with commercial priorities, as it should be.)

We have the right to defend ourselves and our
property, because of the kind of animals that we        James A. Donald
are.  True law derives from this right, not from
the arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.            jamesd@netcom.com

Thread