1994-12-28 - recognizing the essence

Header Data

From: cort <cort@ecn.purdue.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 0f2e7b06101000234022b4cd4bcb8c7a9b2174180157e65ee55cb45b9bc521d0
Message ID: <199412281820.NAA15426@en.ecn.purdue.edu>
Raw Date: Wed, 28 Dec 94 10:20:39 PST

Raw message

From: cort <cort@ecn.purdue.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 94 10:20:39 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: recognizing the essence

Eric and Co. were discussing the "hiding" (obfuscating?) of source code.
I am interested in identifying source code (similarities).

I would like to review literature and available programs for recognizing
plagiarism (of computer source code).  (There is potential for a law
suit in this case.)

I have heard of computer science professors using such programs to
thwart would-be cheaters on class programming assignments.  From what
I remember these were probabilistic.  n% likeness give m% probability
of cheating, etc.

Does anyone have pointers for me?

Cort.

Thread