1994-12-30 - Re: Morality masks technical ignorance

Header Data

From: blancw@pylon.com
To: rishab@dxm.ernet.in
Message Hash: 14ad642cd291ad704aaf421aaf249d6183a95e462cddc0da2c1eb9ea21ba65f7
Message ID: <199412300642.WAA27667@deepthought.pylon.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 29 Dec 94 22:41:33 PST

Raw message

From: blancw@pylon.com
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 94 22:41:33 PST
To: rishab@dxm.ernet.in
Subject: Re: Morality masks technical ignorance

Responding to msg by rishab:

:And the key word in _my_ post was _means_,
:not _reason why_.

Oh  -  I thought maybe it was "ours is not to reason why". (
kidding! )

:I.e. that  (in my view of the Cpunk position) one
:can protect privacy not through morals,  policies or
:law, but through technology.

I also don't see much success in attempting to protect privacy
through the promotion of morals, policies, or laws, either.
However, the list is always engaged in discussing 'privacy
rights' as a basis for their own objections to governments'
attitudes against the unfettered use of new technologies.

Recognizing that we all live in a context made up of
philosophical stands, politics, and legalities, and that as you

said, "these are the glitches in discourse we have to face on a

list  that's for both technology and policy", it can't seem
real to position this aspect completely out of the realm of
thought as a non-valid element.

Some people are going to want to think of the applications of
technology in moral terms, and in a free society one must make
allowances for those kinds of people.   It should be possible
to at least think about its proper place, occasionally, without

suffering too much from the association.

    ..
Blanc

Thread