1994-12-28 - Re: Breaking into girlfriend’s files

Header Data

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@access.digex.net>
To: Ian Farquhar <ianf@sydney.sgi.com>
Message Hash: 151104e8cd416f18c77d81f37785aee522051840a015ea5596dee3b302fc9665
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.941228180859.10390B-100000@access4.digex.net>
Reply To: <9412281117.ZM10874@wiley.sydney.sgi.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-28 23:12:11 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 28 Dec 94 15:12:11 PST

Raw message

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@access.digex.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 94 15:12:11 PST
To: Ian Farquhar <ianf@sydney.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: Breaking into girlfriend's files

On Wed, 28 Dec 1994, Ian Farquhar wrote:

> Date: Wed, 28 Dec 1994 11:17:19 -0500
> From: Ian Farquhar <ianf@sydney.sgi.com>
> To: cypherpunks@toad.com
> Subject: Re: Breaking into girlfriend's files
>
> On Dec 23, 11:28pm, Black Unicorn wrote:

> > I guess I suffered from the silly idea that as a whole, the members of
> > the list would not put  short term morality before the long term goal.
>
> Possibly you did, although I question whether the two are incompatible.

A legitimate issue.  Perhaps one for e-mail?

> > I cannot believe that people on this list, those who claim to be
> > interested in the preservation of privacy, would support the proposition
> > that knowledge about the strength or weakness of a given system should be
> > surpressed.
>
> I don't recall anyone who did mention censorship.  I saw a lot of people
> suggesting that helping the original pathetic individual was not a
> good idea, and then several howls of outrage accusing these people of
> censorship.  There is a difference between non-disclosure and censorship,
> and its not an arbitrary one either.

When based on individual judgement, fine, when based and justified by
some individual's concept of what cypherpunks stand for and what they
should or should not be disclosing, forget it.

> > Disgusting.  Get off this list, you belong on alt.codependency.recovery,
> > or alt.bleeding.liberal.
>
> But isn't that exactly what you're proposing?  "Get off the list because
> your position disagrees with mine."  Sounds like censorship to me,
> except that "Black Unicorn" is the one deciding what is acceptable.

I am properly chastized, and will again, apologize to both the list and
the individual.  (Sorry)

Looking at those words, I can't imagine what infancy prompted me to type
them.

(Sigh)  I would say black outs, but I really don't drink much.

> 							Ian.
>
> #include <std.disclaimer>

073BB885A786F666 nemo repente fuit turpissimus - potestas scientiae in usu est
6E6D4506F6EDBC17 quaere verum ad infinitum, loquitur sub rosa    -    wichtig!

Thread