1994-12-02 - Diffie, Blaze, Berman, Rivest, Bizdos

Header Data

From: cjl <cjl@welchlink.welch.jhu.edu>
Message Hash: 19099277fd532b562baaa3fc83700f821831b0d3c28b0ef4a68ffdc076802e3b
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.91.941201175024.9872A-100000@welchlink.welch.jhu.edu>
Raw Date: Thu, 1 Dec 94 21:05:44 PST

Raw message

From: cjl <cjl@welchlink.welch.jhu.edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 94 21:05:44 PST
Subject: Diffie, Blaze, Berman, Rivest, Bizdos

C-punks,

To those of you who are not members of the American Association for the
Advancement of Science (i.e. subscribers to SCIENCE Magazine) I thought I
would forward some information on their upcoming meeting in Atlanta.

Enclosed is a response I received in response to a query to the address

amsie95@aaas.org.

The response was from

rsmariga@aaas.org

and I quote:

You asked specifically about the "Privacy and Encryption in an Electronic
Environment" session.  Organized by Alex Fowler of AAAS and Caroline Whitbeck of
MIT, this session is scheduled for Tuesday, February 21.  There will be speakers
in both the morning and the afternoon.

>> Blurb in printed version I have includes the following:
>> Learn about the rapid deployment of encryption technologies, their use
>> in ensuring communications security, the legal and ethical
>> interpretations of privacy, and the ongoing debate between government
>> and non-government professionals

Morning speakers
       Matt Blaze, AT&T Bell Labs
          Topic: Deciphering the Mechanics of Encryption
        George Trubow, John Marshall Law School
          Topic: Privacy Issues in an Electronic Environment
        Joan Winston*, U.S. Congress Office of Technology Assessment
          Topic: Privacy, Encryption, and Public Policy
        Jerry Berman*, Electronic Frontier Foundation
          Topic: Clinton's Clipper Chip Proposal

Afternoon speakers
        Marc Rotenberg, Electronic Privacy Info Ctr
          Topic: The Responsibility of Computer Professionals
        Ronald Rivest, MIT
          Topic: Encryption and Scientific Freedom
        Peter Szolovits*, MIT
          Topic: Privacy, Encryption, and the Proposed Health Care Identifier
        James Bidzos, RSA Data Security
          Topic: Encryption and the Protection of Corporate Privacy
        Jeffrey Ritter: Ohio Supercomputer Ctr
          Topic: International Aspects of Privacy and Encryption

* Invited speaker, not yet confirmed

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.  We hope to
see you in Atlanta.

Robert Smariga
Registrar
AAAS Meetings
1333 H St, NW
Washington, DC  20005
phone: (202) 326-6410
fax:   (202) 289-4021

end quote.

I note that I also asked for info regarding the Information Security
session which I guess I have to key in :-)

Information Security: Principles and Public Policy

Monday pm, Feb. 20th, 1995

Organized by Joan Feigenbaum, AT&T Bell Labs

To address concerns about the authenticity, integrity, and privacy of
electronic information:  An overview of the mathematical theory of
information security, the social and legal structure in which the digital
society is emerging, anad the new service and products available.

Speakers:

Joan Feigenbaum, AT&T Bell Labs
The Mathematical Theory of Information Security

Stuart Haber, Surety Technologies, Inc.
Ensuring the Integrity of Digital Documents

Daniel Schutzer, Citicorp Tech. Office
Secure Consumer Banking over the Internet

Whitfield Diffey, Sun Microsystems
Rights and Responsibilities in a Digital World

ObCurrentThread:  I'd sign this if it were a lot easier too.
But then, some Cypherpunks write genetic code.

C. J. Leonard                     (    /      "DNA is groovy"
                                   \ /                - Watson & Crick
<cjl@welchlink.welch.jhu.edu>      / \     <--  major groove
                                  (    \
Finger for public key               \   )
Strong-arm for secret key             /    <--  minor groove
Thumb-screws for pass-phrase        /   )

Thread