1994-12-13 - Re: Clarification of my remarks about Netscape

Header Data

From: marca@mcom.com (Marc Andreessen) (by way of marca@mcom.com (Marc Andreessen))
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2c2c85a07f20f4d41672f6634f30e2f05a01e5d16f0cefaa1267f7d9fecf6fa7
Message ID: <199412130858.IAA10739@neon.mcom.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 13 Dec 94 00:58:24 PST

Raw message

From: marca@mcom.com (Marc Andreessen) (by way of marca@mcom.com (Marc Andreessen))
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 94 00:58:24 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Clarification of my remarks about Netscape

In article <199412130318.TAA00912@largo.remailer.net>, eric@remailer.net (Eric Hughes) wrote:

>    From: "Kipp E.B. Hickman" <kipp@warp.mcom.com>
>
>    If this hadn't been made clear already, then hopefully this will:
>
>            Our intention is to support any development effort attempting
>            to implement an SSL conformant implementation. We will work with
>            you to repair the spec as needed to eliminate any errors or
>            ommisions, and help you test your implementation to ensure that
>            it interoperates with ours.
>
> It's clear to me.  "We're going to use some security, as long as it's
> called SSL and our authorship is on the document."

No, he didn't say that -- you're jumping to conclusions based
on a statement he's making on a separate topic.  We're going to support
security mechanisms as they are required and accepted by the market --
functionality, protocols, formats, etc. -- whether or not they are
called SSL and whether or not our authorship is on the document.

Marc

--
Marc Andreessen
Netscape Communications Corp.