1994-12-01 - Need program pointers

Header Data

From: pstemari@fsp.fsp.com (Paul Ste. Marie)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3b9e1ba00e84302682c7efc6d91234ea803fbc2a4d65c6eeaa218d23e1e95742
Message ID: <9412010358.AA16958@fsp.fsp.com>
Reply To: <199411270330.WAA02572@freenet3.carleton.ca>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-01 03:58:07 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 30 Nov 94 19:58:07 PST

Raw message

From: pstemari@fsp.fsp.com (Paul Ste. Marie)
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 94 19:58:07 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Need program pointers

>   There is a commonly-held belief that there is a US government standard
>   for declassifying magnetic media which involves overwriting it three
>   times. In fact this method is for declassifying core (computer memory)
>   rather than magnetic media. The government standard for declassifying
>   magnetic media probably involves concentrated acid, furnaces, belt
>   sanders, or any combination of the above.

For magentic media, which includes core :), I believe the standard is
overwriting the info alternately with 0's and 1's 100x.

	Paul

Thread