1994-12-06 - GATT and ITAR-crypto

Header Data

From: rishab@dxm.ernet.in
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 41dfe5abd5ba2f41d8a9fbe7491bd1bef626d558c2b4e58d7c0aa5e1a0ca2bd6
Message ID: <gate.ci8Xwc1w165w@dxm.ernet.in>
Raw Date: Tue, 6 Dec 94 10:58:51 PST

Raw message

From: rishab@dxm.ernet.in
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 94 10:58:51 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: GATT and ITAR-crypto

pcw@access.digex.net (Peter Wayner):
> I want to know whether GATT will affect the export of encryption
> software. It seems to frown upon any barrier to trade and I think
> I could argue, perhaps not correctly, that if ACME in Taiwan
> can't buy the necessary encryption software to do business with
> CENTRAL in Kansas, then ACME is prevented from competing in America.
> BONEHEAD Inc, from North Dakota won't have to worry about foreign
> competition.

Heh heh. Missiles R Us in Iran can't buy target analysis software so can't
compete in the US cruise missile market; GD needn't bother about cheaper
Iranian labour costs.

As you correctly noted later, exceptions are made for missiles (and French
movies, and US _peanuts_) - IAC US policy is to treat crypto as munitions,
or at best 'dual-use' tech. GATT does not affect other arms treaties - NPT,
MTCR, etc...

"We know everything about you that we need to know" - Coleta Brueck, IRS
Rishab Aiyer Ghosh                                "In between the breaths is
rishab@dxm.ernet.in                                  the space where we live"
rishab@arbornet.org                                        - Lawrence Durrell
Voice/Fax/Data +91 11 6853410
Voicemail +91 11 3760335                 H 34C Saket, New Delhi 110017, INDIA

Thread