1994-12-16 - Re: McCoy is Right! New Mail Format to Start Now.

Header Data

From: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@netcom.com>
To: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@netcom.com>
Message Hash: 46955b1b04d70ca5901f85bc5d66b6b27367c437e82d8407dfa966126963e29e
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9412152234.A21468-0100000@netcom5>
Reply To: <199412152119.NAA07643@netcom2.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-16 07:14:40 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 15 Dec 94 23:14:40 PST

Raw message

From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 94 23:14:40 PST
To: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: McCoy is Right! New Mail Format to Start Now.

Timothy C. May wrote:B
> My main point is that the most compelling strategy seems to be to
> stick with ASCII for a while, avoid minor-but-painful gains with
> Postscript, Acrobat, Replica, TeX, FrameViewer, etc., and then jump to
> the Web/html/http/blah blah when the time is right.

I have noticed that folks with a Unix background have a rather
higher tolerance for stuff that sort of works, most of the time,
if you fiddle enough, than folks with Dos/Windows/Mac background

I suspect brain damage caused by a "make" utility that treats
spaces as semanticly different from tabs.  AAargh!

:-)

(But I am not an operating system bigot, I will freely admit
that segments and REPE CMPS have led to disturbing mental
symptoms amongst us PC folk.)

But seriously folks, GUI tools for manipulating and communicating
information are just wonderfully superior.  MIME etc provides a
standard for such things.

Problem is of course that it does not yet provide an entirely
satisfactory reality.  The standard is not yet standard.

Which is why you are probably reading this in a monospaced
font with hard carriage returns, rather than the proportionally
spaced font and soft line breaks that you get in the WWW

We have the right to defend ourselves and our
property, because of the kind of animals that we        James A. Donald
are.  True law derives from this right, not from
the arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.            jamesd@netcom.com

Thread