1994-12-13 - Re: the netscape/ssl controversy

Header Data

From: jamesd@netcom.com (James A. Donald)
To: avi@clas.ufl.edu (Avi Harris Baumstein)
Message Hash: 4ccbe3b641844fd64aa36e09740d32d0175c3f83ad674f8eef75b03c29733665
Message ID: <199412131904.LAA25368@netcom10.netcom.com>
Reply To: <199412131448.JAA07613@cutter.clas.ufl.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-13 19:06:07 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 13 Dec 94 11:06:07 PST

Raw message

From: jamesd@netcom.com (James A. Donald)
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 94 11:06:07 PST
To: avi@clas.ufl.edu (Avi Harris Baumstein)
Subject: Re: the netscape/ssl controversy

Avi Harris Baumstein writes
> netscape has a proposal that secures the *transport* of files. pgp and
> the like secure the actual files themselves. the question that will
> have to be answered is "which method of security is more valuable to
> the internet as a whole?"

No.

Both methods are valuable.

Netscape has provided a screwdriver.  People are screaming at
them for not producing a hammer.  They are planning the hammer
later.

We do not have to choose.  The more tools, the better.

The correct response is "Thanks, but what we really want
is a hammer."

Not "You stupid assholes, if you had the brains of a
turnip you would know that a screwdriver is THE WRONG
TOOL AND THE RIGHT TOOL IS A HAMMER, YOU HALF WITTED
MORONS."

We have the right to defend ourselves and our
property, because of the kind of animals that we        James A. Donald
are.  True law derives from this right, not from
the arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.            jamesd@netcom.com

Thread