1994-12-23 - Re: GUI: PGP vs novices

Header Data

From: lbilling@interserv.com (Al Billings)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5a04a65def901befab297f739a1917f6aaab187a38afcb24f88e890c74e96ae6
Message ID: <199412232241.AA20845@relay.interserv.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 23 Dec 94 14:44:02 PST

Raw message

From: lbilling@interserv.com (Al Billings)
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 94 14:44:02 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: GUI: PGP vs novices

>The product works at the Windows Sockets layer, intercepting mail as it is
>sent from the mail application to the SMTP host, and performing the above
>crypto related functions based on text placed at the top of the mail message.

[ Some Deleted ]

>A major complication that I've come up against is installation.  Somehow
>I've got to provide a painless way of discovering the Winsock stack in use
>on a machine, and installing my WINSOCK.DLL so that it gets loaded instead
>of the real one (which my software then loads on its own and intercepts
>calls to.)
>This is really easy to do manually when one has knowledge of such things;
it >is a major pain in the ass to come up with a way of doing this that doesn't
>require the user to know anything about Windows Sockets or DLL's or path
>variables, etc.

There is also the problem that a number of applications (such as Internet in
a Box) require there own Winsock to make connections to the Internet. If you
replace the Ibox winsock with another, when you run the programs they will
no longer call the dialer to dial into the Internet. I believe the same
holds true for Trumpet.

Wassail,
Al Billings

Thread