1994-12-06 - Are there any internet services runnable from powerpc

Header Data

From: tjb@acpub.duke.edu (Tom Bryce)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 64430de0216992cd7d3ea016fbcd493ee717a1cae6b4d538da162be25fedea3a
Message ID: <199412060645.BAA07462@acpub.duke.edu>
Raw Date: Mon, 5 Dec 94 22:46:02 PST

Raw message

From: tjb@acpub.duke.edu (Tom Bryce)
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 94 22:46:02 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Are there *any* internet services runnable from powerpc

I'm still thinking I'd like to provide some internet services from my power
mac. I have my own IP address and the folks at network services said they
don't mind if I run a WWW server, and they will even change the name
assigned to my IP address if I don't like it. So it sounds to me like I can
provide internet services. I hesitate to run a web server because I hear
there are lots of security bugs and I won't subject my mac to that. I am
looking for a unix emulator that is freeware for the macintosh. I was
directed to one apparently freeware unix platform for the mac by someone on
the cypherpunks list, but it says it does not support ethernet which is how
I am interfaced.

I have a power mac 7100 with an ethernet port to the internet. Does anyone
know if I could, for example, get scripts for Eudora to snarf mail and run
a keyserver, or set up an anon remailer, or do anything at all remotely
cool and for the betterment of the crypto/privacy/pgp/etc. services
available to the internet public? I could leave my mac on 24/7 serving up
services. When I'm debugging code it might crash, but I suppose there
should be fail-safe systems.

It doesn't seem like I can do much unless I buy a unix emulator, and I
don't have the money for that. I'm a student.

Tom

Tom Bryce
for PGP public key finger tjbryce@amherst.edu

Thread