1994-12-06 - US Government Cryptographic Interfaces Meeting

Header Data

From: p.v.mcmahon.rea0803@oasis.icl.co.uk
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6a445e32a96222f348bbb8dc3e696b820dd7ad1ea4c2a285e81c9490066a3ddc
Message ID: <9412061805.AA21938@getafix.oasis.icl.co.uk>
Raw Date: Tue, 6 Dec 94 10:04:43 PST

Raw message

From: p.v.mcmahon.rea0803@oasis.icl.co.uk
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 94 10:04:43 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: US Government Cryptographic Interfaces Meeting

         I attach some (unofficial) notes on a recent meeting sponsored by
         the US government. Comments welcome.

         - pvm

         Ps. As I am in San Jose this week, I will try to get to the
         10DEC94 Bay Area CP meeting where I can briefly talk about it if
         there is any interest.

         -----

         Report from 01DEC94 NIST Cryptographic API Meeting

         On 01DEC94, NIST (a branch of the US Department of Commerce)
         convened an "information sharing and discussion" meeting on
         Cryptographic APIs (CAPI) at Gaithersburg.

         Present were "leaders in the field of computer cyptography". Some
         well known figures present were Steve Walker, Dorothy Denning,
         Burt Kaliski, Warwick Ford, and Miles Smid. Government attendees
         included 7 from the NSA, 4 from NIST, 5 from the UK MoD, 2 from
         NASA, and 2 from ARPA. In addition to RSA Labs, BNR, and TIS -
         other vendors present included Spyrus, IBM, HP, Novell, Microsoft,
         Datakey, Racal-Guardata, Uptronics, Bankers Trust, National
         Semiconductor, and myself representing the X/Open (vendor
         consortium) Security Working Group.

         The meeting heard presentations on initiatives relating to
         cryptographic APIs. These comprised:
         - International Cryptographic Experiment (ICE)
         - MoD Security in Open Systems Technical Demonstrator Programme
         - X/Open Cryptographic Service Model
         - ANS1 X9F1 Layered Cryptographic Service Model
         - POSIX Cryptographic Study Group
         - GSS-API
         - NIST Cryptographic Service Calls  draft FIPS
         - NSA CAPI Goals, Architecture, and Requirements
         - Royal Holloway University of London CAPI Study
         - RSA Labs PKCS11
         - IBM Generic Cryptographic Interface
         - BNR/NT Entrust Interface
         - Spyrus

         Copies of the slides, and the X/Open draft preliminary
         specification were distributed to the attendees.

         I received some unsolicited positive feedback on the X/Open
         Security Working Group's output from a number of the attendees,
         and also three requests to join the group. It was a useful
         validation that X/Open are proceeding down the right track.

         There was discussion during the meeting on the correct scope for
         CAPIs, and a debate on the market pressures towards convergence.

         Two specific threads of activity were identified:
         1)standards coordination looks containable given the cooperative
           and positive attitude among representatives of ANSI, POSIX,
           NIST, and X/Open. I believe that NIST and the vendor community
           through X/Open can work together to get agreement on an
           interface which meets the requirements, is grounded in
           implementation experience;
         2)implementation experience with CAPIs, and associated effort to
           shift export control policy will be enabled as part of the
           International Cryptographic Experiment.

         Timely completion of a cross-industry cryptographic interface, and
         in parallel its validation in real systems, will then lead to a
         firm basis for international agreement.

         P V McMahon                                     06DEC94
         ICL Enterprises
         post:  Kings House, 33 Kings Road, Reading, RG1 3PX, UK
         email: p.v.mcmahon@rea0803.wins.icl.co.uk
           OR   p.mcmahon@xopen.co.uk
         phone: +44 734 634882
         fax:   +44 734 855106