1994-12-01 - Re: We are ALL guests (except Eric)

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@imsi.com>
To: jrochkin@cs.oberlin.edu (Jonathan Rochkind)
Message Hash: 730cc2730b285efb8cf0ce054c0880c2da0b2e5c5d476649404d937fba5d5175
Message ID: <9412011558.AA03114@snark.imsi.com>
Reply To: <ab02cc0608021004d214@[132.162.201.201]>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-01 15:58:54 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 1 Dec 94 07:58:54 PST

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 94 07:58:54 PST
To: jrochkin@cs.oberlin.edu (Jonathan Rochkind)
Subject: Re: We are ALL guests (except Eric)

Jonathan Rochkind says:
> If my and my friends don't like coke, we can't copy their secret formula
> and sell something in a red can with a white curve down the side and
> "Coca-cola" written on it in cursive lettering. We'll be in court in about
> four minutes.
>
> If me and my friends don't like the cypherpunks list, we can start our own
> list called "cypherpunks."  We can even get the list of subscribers from
> toad (it's public information), and subscribe them all to our list,
> although they might not appreciate it so much.

A person buys a building and places a nightclub within. By your logic,
he does not own the nightclub, because another person could open a
nightclub.

Were Eric to trademark "Cypherpunks" and use it in trade as the name
of a mailing list, you could NOT create another one for the same
reason you couldn't sell "Coke". The fact that Eric has no interest in
doing this and doesn't claim to own the name does not change the
situation.

.pm

Thread