1994-12-07 - Successful use of e-cash!

Header Data

From: rishab@dxm.ernet.in
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7edb5742368e5cc1112eac3a0a8f74aed93b5a625c7f844c5b394e97640e1296
Message ID: <gate.ikB1wc1w165w@dxm.ernet.in>
Raw Date: Wed, 7 Dec 94 14:22:14 PST

Raw message

From: rishab@dxm.ernet.in
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 94 14:22:14 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Successful use of e-cash!

I just made my first e-cash transaction.

Using, SLIP and Netscape, I webbed to HotWired to uy a sneak preview of
Bruce Sterling's Prague story to appear in the Jan issue for 0.50 cyberbucks.
At the same time, I ran the e-cash client (for Windows) from DigiCash.

It has a beautiful interface - just a few little icons visible on the screen;
it went to the back, asked me for my password to open my account, found out
what my balance was, and asked me whether I wanted to withdraw $10 from
the total of $100. I said yes.

Meanwhile I asked HotWired to send me the Sterling piece. Unfortunately it
was too quick - it came in on port (something) before the e-cash client had
filled my wallet; I tried again at HotWired, by which time the e-cash status
showed $10. My cyberwallet made a nice clanging sound, asked me whether I
wanted to pay "Wired Ecash Shop" $0.50, and whether I wanted to set a payment
policy. I'm so smart - I told the client to automatically pay "Wired Ecash
Shop" if it asked for less than $2 up to 10 times. Ouch! Now I can't go back
up my Web trail! When I went one step back at HotWired, for some reason
it ran the e-cash 'charge?' URL, and so 'clang' went my wallet and
automatically deducted another 50c! Oops. Oh well, the whole experience was
worth a whole cyberdollar.

I also 'bought' Chaum's SciAm article, and got the reasonable lengthy list of
shops. Then I noticed it was 4 in the morning...

Rishab

"We know everything about you that we need to know" - Coleta Brueck, IRS
Rishab Aiyer Ghosh                                "In between the breaths is
rishab@dxm.ernet.in                                  the space where we live"
rishab@arbornet.org                                        - Lawrence Durrell
Voice/Fax/Data +91 11 6853410
Voicemail +91 11 3760335                 H 34C Saket, New Delhi 110017, INDIA

Thread