1994-12-02 - Re: First Virtual?

Header Data

From: Mark Terka <werewolf@io.org>
To: Andrew Lowenstern <andrew_loewenstern@il.us.swissbank.com>
Message Hash: 86035d43e929e4824ca0cf6df3b2c556db3b34aa2ca6c2ed1eaf1269fdff1bc0
Message ID: <Pine.BSI.3.91.941202165618.1683B-100000@r-node.io.org>
Reply To: <9412022007.AA06523@ch1d157nwk>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-02 21:59:11 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 2 Dec 94 13:59:11 PST

Raw message

From: Mark Terka <werewolf@io.org>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 94 13:59:11 PST
To: Andrew Lowenstern <andrew_loewenstern@il.us.swissbank.com>
Subject: Re: First Virtual?

On Fri, 2 Dec 1994, Andrew Lowenstern wrote:

> FV does in fact have a bunch of e-mail addresses that will auto-forward some
> info sheets to you.  I have attached the info to this message.
>
> After having read Doug Barnes message (<9412021548.AA17294@tadpole>) I'm glad
> I'm not the only one who thinks FV is a joke.  The entire security of the
> system rests on the difficulty of intercepting and forging e-mail.  Forging
> e-mail is dead easy, intercepting isn't much harder.  While the implementors
> are correct that an online payment-system will have to be simple to use in
> order to gain wide acceptance, sacrificing all security for ease of use is a
> grave mistake.  It just begging to be ripped off, providing people actually
> sell something via FV worth ripping off.

Ok, so what are our options, given that this company seems to think of
security in terms of a plastic padlock. From corresponding posts on the
list, the only other alternative, Digicash, doesn't seem to be too
responsive to anyone's participation right now.

Mark Terka     | werewolf@io.org             | public key (werewolf) by
Toronto,Canada | dg507@cleveland.freenet.edu | public key server or request