1994-12-19 - Doomsaying, development, and deployment

Header Data

From: “Amanda Walker” <amanda@intercon.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8cf41ab92261fae42a165ddecb4d134c462ad523185dc3fd5ac0b1b42b10917d
Message ID: <9412182053.AA02959@eldamar.walker.org>
Raw Date: Sun, 18 Dec 94 17:53:15 PST

Raw message

From: "Amanda Walker" <amanda@intercon.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 94 17:53:15 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Doomsaying, development, and deployment

A number of people have been saying things that amount to "imminent death of
the Cypherpunks mailing list predicted, film at 11."  Well, folks, if it dies,
it will be the fault of those who just pick up their toys and go home.

There's been a fair amount of discontent here in the the last year.  I don't
think it's a matter of any one flameful discussion (of which many have gone by
recently).  Rather, I think it's a matter of frustration.  PGP has acheived a
fair amount of recognition in the user community at large, and lately even in
the mainstream press.  However, beyond PGP and some anonymous remailers,
there's not a lot else out there.

There won't *be* anything unless we build it.  No one's going to come riding
in on his white horse to hand us crypto-security.

We all agree we need better tools, and that everyone else needs better tools
before they'll start adopting the technology we so fiercely believe can save
us from the erosion of our civil liberty and personal privacy.

So let's build those tools.  Strange as it may seem, I actually have to weigh
in on the side of Netscape in some of the arguments that have come by in the
last week or so.  They are building stuff, after all.  That's better than most
of the people on this list, from what I can tell.

To put my money where my mouth is, I'll shut up completely until I can post an
announcement of some useful crypto tool.  It might be commercial, but it might
be free--my employer does occasionally agree to give stuff away for the good
of the Internet.

Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation

Thread