1994-12-12 - Re: Exact quotation from Freeh on banning unapproved crypto ?

Header Data

From: Steven Levy <steven@echonyc.com>
To: “L. McCarthy” <lmccarth@ducie.cs.umass.edu>
Message Hash: 92d20bea3cefccecd4bd778ff1601ab7f436791414504c8e748c845aa670c231
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9412121300.A10950-0100000@echonyc.com>
Reply To: <199412121018.FAA17062@bb.hks.net>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-12 18:23:34 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 12 Dec 94 10:23:34 PST

Raw message

From: Steven Levy <steven@echonyc.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 94 10:23:34 PST
To: "L. McCarthy" <lmccarth@ducie.cs.umass.edu>
Subject: Re: Exact quotation from Freeh on banning unapproved crypto ?

I was the one who asked Freeh the question, after he gave a talk at the
conference on Global Cryptography.  I said that while the administration
is
currently saying that they are not interested in regulating cryptography
domestically, what if in the future the wiretaps you get yield scrambled
messages that you can't decipher.  (Meaning, do you regulate then?)

Freeh asked, "In terms of encryption being a voluntary standard?"

"Yes," I said.

"Oh yeah, definitely," he said.  "If five years from now we solved the
access
problem, but what we're hearing is all encrypted, I'll probably, if I'm
still
here, be talking about that in a very different way; the objective is the
same.
The objective is for us to get those conversations whether they're by an
alligator clip or ones and zeros.  Wherever they are, whatever they are,
I need
them."

On Mon, 12 Dec 1994, L. McCarthy wrote:

> - ---
> [This message has been signed by an auto-signing service.  A valid signature
> means only that it has been received at the address corresponding to the
> signature and forwarded.]

Thread