1994-12-29 - Re: Morality masks technical ignorance

Header Data

From: arromdee@blaze.cs.jhu.edu (Ken Arromdee)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 96d21cc3b22b82ba25b9c4d7a27ec2c55bd0b356cbd0eb8acdfcd41ac305a56f
Message ID: <9412292143.AA21512@toad.com>
Reply To: <gate.ZBX5Xc1w165w@dxm.ernet.in>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-29 21:43:32 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 29 Dec 94 13:43:32 PST

Raw message

From: arromdee@blaze.cs.jhu.edu (Ken Arromdee)
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 94 13:43:32 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Morality masks technical ignorance

>Rishab Aiyer Ghosh:
>As it so happens, hardly anyone here knew about Norton Encrypt so we got
>embroiled in this argument. If we were to adopt a consistently (and solely)
>moral stance, we would accept Detweiler's position that remailers are bad
>and should be banned because they can be easily misused.

There is a difference between believing that something is wrong (a moral
stance), and believing that force should be used to stop it (a ban).  A
consistent position, for someone believing remailers are bad, would be that
they personally wouldn't run a remailer or tell other people how to
do so.  It would not require advocating bans on remailers.

And trying to _convince_ other people not to do something, without the
threat of force, is not _banning_.
--
Ken Arromdee (email: arromdee@jyusenkyou.cs.jhu.edu)

"No boom today.  Boom tomorrow, there's always a boom tomorrow."  --Ivanova

Thread