1994-12-13 - Re: Clarification of my remarks about Netscape

Header Data

From: “Amanda Walker” <amanda@intercon.com>
To: kipp@warp.mcom.com (Kipp E.B. Hickman)
Message Hash: bb8ceb522910edb06db7ea1f92e9979a18dc210a831bd8610c74db51419a232e
Message ID: <9412131431.AA19841@amanda.dial.intercon.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 13 Dec 94 11:30:51 PST

Raw message

From: "Amanda Walker" <amanda@intercon.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 94 11:30:51 PST
To: kipp@warp.mcom.com (Kipp E.B. Hickman)
Subject: Re: Clarification of my remarks about Netscape

> All you need to do is get your server certificate from one of
> several places, including:
>
> 	RSA (commercial CA or server CA)

Do you need a server certificate issued directly by one of these PCAs, or does
it just need to be rooted there (i.e., can I use my [hypothetical] corporate
PCA, which itself has a certificate from the RSA commercial PCA)?

If it's the former, I would strongly urge you to extend your clients to
include the latter.  I don't want to have to go to RSA for every server
certificate--that's in part what the PCA hierarchy exists for.

Similarly, if I set up a personal server (with my home page, for example), can
I'd like to be able to use a certificate issued by the RSA Unaffiliated User
CA, which is itself a PCA certified by the Commercial CA.

Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation

Thread