1994-12-20 - Re: Hiding strings in objects code

Header Data

From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
To: Jonathon Fletcher <jonathon.fletcher@psych.stir.ac.uk>
Message Hash: bb90e93160dc8da7f4685315bef169cb30be12fcb3d55724742c1d4c352eab65
Message ID: <9412200055.AA06815@steve-dallas.MIT.EDU>
Reply To: <9412200027.AA18993@oss.stir.ac.uk>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-20 00:55:37 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 19 Dec 94 16:55:37 PST

Raw message

From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 94 16:55:37 PST
To: Jonathon Fletcher <jonathon.fletcher@psych.stir.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Hiding strings in objects code

>   I'm looking for a way of concealing the text strings in an object file
> so that they can't be seen. I'd like to use something a little more
> complicated than rot13 :-), but something that's freely usable for
> non-profit use.

I assume you mean so that running "strings" on the binary will not
lead you to anything, right?  You can use an XOR with some weird value
to hide the strings.  Just make sure the value you use will, for
example, set the high bit on the string bytes...

Its is a cheap, free way to hide strings.  It is, by no means, secure.

-derek

Thread