1994-12-15 - Re: Less Flaming, More Civility

Header Data

From: shamrock@netcom.com (Lucky Green)
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: bcf7fbf5887083d4d7758743be978aab17fa48f37a693bcb8579250d8b8e4610
Message ID: <v01510101ab15bca29fdb@[192.0.2.1]>
Raw Date: Thu, 15 Dec 94 01:51:45 PST

Raw message

From: shamrock@netcom.com (Lucky Green)
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 94 01:51:45 PST
To: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: Less Flaming, More Civility

Tim wrote:
[...]
>Not all debate recently has been insulting, of course. In fact, most
>hasn't been. But the insulting tone persists in some of the thread
>titles, and in the generally adversarial nature. (If I were Marc A.
>or Kipp, I'd not feel very welcome here....a situation which is
>counterproductive to our presumed goals.)
[...]
II was quite surprised that they stayed that calm. MCOM's comming out on
the list was rather painfull. Glad to have them here, though. I always
looked at the list as  place to learn. Past mistakes nonwithstanding, they
do seem to be willing to learn.

>So, this is my little rant on "Can't we all just get along?" expressed
>in a different way.

There is nothing gained by flaming someone. Even if one thinks that they
deserve it. Let's not alienate people that come to us to be educated. This
would be self defeating.

>The Cypherpunks list has become one of several de facto "watering
>holes" where diverse participants interact. Let's not blow it.

C'punks, when this list started we were a bunch of idealistic privacy
freaks. Look who's on the list now: the developers of cutting edge Internet
software.

They came here because they heard our message. What did Amanda say?
Something like "I come here because that's where the ideas are". We have
the chance to influence the shape of the Net for years to come. The MCOM
folks didn't go to the IETF meeting? Send them an invite for the next one.
They never heard of ISIP? Send them a demo and docs. Let's show a "If you
have any questions don't hesitate to ask us." attitude.

-- Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
   PGP encrypted mail preferred.

Thread