1994-12-02 - Re: Authentication at toad.com: WTF?

Header Data

From: wcs@anchor.ho.att.com (bill.stewart@pleasantonca.ncr.com +1-510-484-6204)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c1ee616eaa1ca8dbd37902c634810ff1bcaefae72246e5fe86538eb58daa890b
Message ID: <9412010625.AA17536@anchor.ho.att.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 1 Dec 94 23:39:35 PST

Raw message

From: wcs@anchor.ho.att.com (bill.stewart@pleasantonca.ncr.com +1-510-484-6204)
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 94 23:39:35 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Authentication at toad.com: WTF?

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MATERIAL-----
> On Wed, 30 Nov 1994, The new cypherpunks signature checking agent wrote:
> > The below message was found to have a valid signature from "JEFF LICQUIA (CEI)
> > " JLICQUIA@mhc.uiuc.edu.

Apparently it was a spoof, but whatever.  I'd be really bugged by
the security implications of software claiming to have validated
signatures; software that complains about bogus sigs is fine,
since if it's spoofed it's only a warning, and if the warnings
are deleted your trust is still somewhat limited unless you've verified
the signatures yourself.  Trusting someone else's verification
is less than ideal security policy :-)

		Bill

Cypherpunks signature checking agent:  It's valid - trust me!

Thread