1994-12-16 - Re: Question for remailer operators

Header Data

From: lcottrell@popmail.ucsd.edu (Lance Cottrell)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d2421e4f622e72d391aed180cfde53213803277b000fd25664687e25be8cc414
Message ID: <ab16fc6e0702100415ad@[137.110.24.249]>
Raw Date: Fri, 16 Dec 94 00:24:06 PST

Raw message

From: lcottrell@popmail.ucsd.edu (Lance Cottrell)
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 94 00:24:06 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Question for remailer operators

>I see about 200 messages a day through my remailer, sizes averaging a
>couple of K.  I had the impression at one point that the VAST majority of
>this was "cover" traffic that someone is generating just to keep the
>network busy.  I don't know if this is still the case.  It might be
>possible to opt out of the cover traffic generator to reduce your load
>to a politically manageable level.  Maybe people generating cover traffic
>could estimate how many messages they are generating.

<SNIP>

>Hal

I have a script generating covering traffic. It creates a message at random
intervals between 1 and 20 min. The messages are encrypted, and padded with
cutmarks for all remailers which support that. The messages are sent
through six hops. The remailers are chosen from all reasonably reliable
remailers on Raph Levine's list (except for those which have asked to be
excluded).

Lance Cottrell  who does not speak for CASS/UCSD
loki@nately.ucsd.edu
PGP 2.6 key available by finger or server. Encrypted mail welcome.
Home page http://nately.ucsd.edu/~loki/
Home of "chain" the remailer chaining script.
For anon remailer info, mail remailer@nately.ucsd.edu Subject: remailer-help

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly
it flips over, pinning you underneath.  At night the ice
weasels come."
                        --Nietzsche

Thread