1994-12-12 - Re: extra dashes in PGP-related blocks?

Header Data

From: andrew@riskdev.ml.com (Andrew Brown)
To: jrochkin@cs.oberlin.edu (Jonathan Rochkind)
Message Hash: e795d48e06b002cb11c569a00d5a76022bb34e520ec4bccad289f8eb2dacaafd
Message ID: <9412121933.AA04137@nottingham.riskdev.ml.com>
Reply To: <ab124e4c0302100420d1@[132.162.201.201]>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-12 19:33:12 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 12 Dec 94 11:33:12 PST

Raw message

From: andrew@riskdev.ml.com (Andrew Brown)
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 94 11:33:12 PST
To: jrochkin@cs.oberlin.edu (Jonathan Rochkind)
Subject: Re: extra dashes in PGP-related blocks?

>> From: Jonathan Rochkind
>
>When people have been posting their public keys, or encrypted address
>blocks, to various lists I'm on, all of the "-----BEGIN whatever..." lines
>seem to have a "- " preppended to them. So, for instance, they look like:
>
>- -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
>Version: 2.6.2
>[stuff]
>- -----END PGP MESSAGE-----
>
>I'm guessing if I really sent a block like that to a remailer, the remailer
>would hork because of the prepended "- "s.  I know that sometimes people's
>public keys they've posted to a list look like that, and when I try to add
>them to PGP, it horks, and I've got to go into a text editor and remove the
>"- ", and then add it to my keyring.
>
>Does anyone know what it is that's putting in these "- "s, why it's putting
>them in, and how to stop it?

pgp is putting those extra "- " pieces in (guess you didn't read all
your pgp docs :-),  it does that so that it can tell the difference between
pgp begin/end blocks and other stuff, kinda like sendmail "quoting" lines
beginning with a dot with an extra dot.  the difference here is that
sendmail removes any leading dots before delivery and pgp doesn't after
removing a signature.  yeah, you do have to load it into an editor but
mailing something to a remailer shoud not "hork" it.  the pgp running on
the remailer will just "- " the stuff and include it literally.

follow?

--
--< "CYBERBOY" >--
andrew@ml.com (Andrew Brown)