1994-12-12 - Re: BofA+Netscape

Header Data

From: shamrock@netcom.com (Lucky Green)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: eadf10c7ef89c5f4d68fc3b209f43f06dc897eca53da285f53eaf6a534dc389c
Message ID: <v01510105ab114e937611@[192.0.2.1]>
Raw Date: Sun, 11 Dec 94 17:05:45 PST

Raw message

From: shamrock@netcom.com (Lucky Green)
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 94 17:05:45 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: BofA+Netscape

[Welcome to the list, Marc. Great to have you here!]
Marc Andreessen wrote
>In article <9412111647.AA23311@tadpole.tadpole.com>, db@Tadpole.COM (Doug
>Barnes) wrote:
>
>> I'll throw in that from the perspective of someone running a server,
>> their approach of requesting all graphics simultaneously over
>> different sockets in the name of client performance is disastrous.
>> This causes most servers to fork N times more per page, where N is
>> the avg. # of graphics.
>
>That's just plain not true.  Servers don't fork any more often
>with Netscape than they do with other clients -- EVER.
>
>> but some have speculated that this was done deliberately in order
>> sabotage server software other than their own.
>
>That's also just plain not true, and completely unsubstantiated.

Marc,
have you ever been in an empty lab with an htpd server - late at night? You
can HEAR it when Mozzilla hits the site. Two or three Mozzilla users at the
same time will kill your server. Unless, I understand, it uses your server
software for which you charge money.

Can you be surprised that there are a significant number of people out
there who are wondering if your "selfless" deed of giving away your client
software for free was really all that selfless?

-- Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
   PGP encrypted mail preferred.

Thread