1994-12-14 - Re: Using HotWIRED without provoking junk mail

Header Data

From: Avi Harris Baumstein <avi@clas.ufl.edu>
To: “L. McCarthy” <lmccarth@ducie.cs.umass.edu>
Message Hash: ebfdc6d68b54daa3d4bef94db308ce078ea7a21665618cc703bdfece91f5f035
Message ID: <199412141358.IAA28880@cutter.clas.ufl.edu>
Reply To: <199412140456.XAA12500@bb.hks.net>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-14 13:58:40 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 14 Dec 94 05:58:40 PST

Raw message

From: Avi Harris Baumstein <avi@clas.ufl.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 94 05:58:40 PST
To: "L. McCarthy" <lmccarth@ducie.cs.umass.edu>
Subject: Re: Using HotWIRED without provoking junk mail

"L. McCarthy" <lmccarth@ducie.cs.umass.edu> writes:

>A while back someone established a HotWIRED account in the name "cypherpunks"
>with password "cypherpunks" to get around this. I make a point of mentioning

funny thing about that. i told a non-cp friend about this when he
first discovered hotwired's policy. he used it for a while, and then
somehow mentioned it on another list (something to do with
publishing), in a discussion with one of wired's folk. she (wired
person) later made the comment that she looked it up, and halfway
through that day there were over 100 hits to that account already.

tells us three things:

-at least this wired staffer was somewhat amused with the prospect
(rather than annoyed, as i had expected).
-they have a fairly simple way of checking up on usage, by account, by
day. which means they are probably using this data for something
already.
-the account is well used.

-avi

Thread