1994-12-24 - EXPORT CONTROLS ON RC4

Header Data

From: david.lloyd-jones@canrem.com (David Lloyd-Jones)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f1633b6ff632730c52ff741865ea2491b6469cc6bd888c1588261d79568ec35a
Message ID: <60.17995.6525.0C1C5829@canrem.com>
Reply To: <199412240621.AAA24808@jpunix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-24 11:18:12 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 24 Dec 94 03:18:12 PST

Raw message

From: david.lloyd-jones@canrem.com (David Lloyd-Jones)
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 94 03:18:12 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: EXPORT CONTROLS ON RC4

This DDJ reference to export control laws is pretty typical:

AS+From: nobody@jpunix.com (Anonymous)
AS+ENCRYPTION software.  Is posting such software online worldwide the same as
  +exporting it?  If so, the State Department might have a thing or two to say.

The State Department may claim the right to have some say in things
under the Commerce Clause, Article 1, Sec. 8 of the Constitution.

Seems to me, however, that the Fifth, Ninth and Tenth Amendments
pretty clearly slap this claim down: the right to trade freely
predates the United States, and is hence "reserved... to the people",
in the language of the Tenth.

                                   -dlj.

david.lloyd-jones@canrem.com

 * 1st 1.11 #3818 * But I'm a vegetarian.   OK, let's eat you first.

Thread