1994-12-16 - Re: MIME

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@imsi.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f88d18a35fb743dc12f9533f4514fa68202573513b55e664bb0bfb40120bd839
Message ID: <9412160217.AA01737@snark.imsi.com>
Reply To: <199412160109.RAA04201@jobe.shell.portal.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-16 02:17:25 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 15 Dec 94 18:17:25 PST

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 94 18:17:25 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: MIME

Mr. Anonymous does well to remain anonymous. His comments are
embarassing to him.

Naturally the idea is old -- I explicitly mentioned NeXT mail, didn't
I? The point is that this is an open, non-proprietary, and
STANDARDIZED framework for doing arbitrary recursive encapsulation of
data in EMail.

Perry

anonymous-remailer@shell.portal.com says:
> > Once you've seen a secretary who barely understands anything drag a
> > spreadsheet into a mail message and send it to someone on another
> > continent who, equally ignorantly, just double-clicks on it and then
> > has the spreadsheet program launch, you will understand what the point
> > of MIME is.
>
> Is this what the big deal about MIME is?
>
> Damn, I've been doing this (cutting and pasting spreadsheets,
> launching them by double clicking) for years now on Mac's and PC's
> running Windows.  Heck, under NeXTSTEP as well.

Thread