1995-01-23 - Re: Call Security (Was: Re: TJOAUC 1-7)

Header Data

From: bart@netcom.com (Harry Bartholomew)
To: grendel@netaxs.com (Michael Handler)
Message Hash: 131e4adc2c267cd6ab464bfa2e7acc4df90143c0764842524c305c1162590260
Message ID: <199501231133.DAA14851@netcom15.netcom.com>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.91.950122195349.24135E-100000@unix3.netaxs.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-23 11:34:22 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 23 Jan 95 03:34:22 PST

Raw message

From: bart@netcom.com (Harry Bartholomew)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 95 03:34:22 PST
To: grendel@netaxs.com (Michael Handler)
Subject: Re: Call Security (Was: Re: TJOAUC 1-7)

> >  Call Security / Voice Crypto FAQ                     Neil Johnson
>
> 	This guy showed up in sci.crypt back in November of '94, with the
> "Call Security" program. It had some new unknown public-key algorithm in
> it that he had designed himself.

    I recall the event in sci.crypt, though not the names involved.
    The article in TJOAUC is a "FAQ" by someone named Neil Johnson
    (njj@pokey.mc.com) who thanks David Colston and Charlie Merritt
    "the authors" for sharing info...

    The FAQ states boldly:
    "CS uses QPK Quick Public Keys by David Colston.  This public
    key system has been reviewed by Whit Diffie, Gus Simmons (Sandia
    Labs), and posted on sci.crypt."

    and on the next page:
    "8. Is it really secure? You, decide!

    Well, the public keys system used by Call Security, QPK
    (Quick Public Keys) by Dave Colston has survived peer review.
    This is good"

    Are these statements false?  Should someone call for a retraction?

Thread