1995-01-03 - Re: SAN FRANCISCO EDITORIAL

Header Data

From: Erik Selberg <speed@cs.washington.edu>
To: Cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 1e500e2517eb10fb7e040716faa3744b86d457ba98dc172424c7d2c04ef3e7c8
Message ID: <199501032218.OAA03693@meitner.cs.washington.edu>
Raw Date: Tue, 3 Jan 95 14:17:58 PST

Raw message

From: Erik Selberg <speed@cs.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 95 14:17:58 PST
To: Cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: SAN FRANCISCO EDITORIAL

> C'punks,
>
> Here is a guest editorial that ran in Monday's SF Chronicle.  It
> should make your blood boil.
>

>  S a n d y
>
> 			*	*	*
>
>              ANARCHY, CHAOS ON THE INTERNET MUST END

Yup, it's the same net-spamming Siegel, arguing for:
  End of mob rule, so she can advertise everywhere for free;
  End of anonymous encryption, so we can't send plans for the new
      stealth basselope to the commies (or I guess it's liberals, nowaways).
  End of anonymous mail, so she can tell back at all those who yell at
      her for spamming
  Terms of surrender for us academic types, who only exist to attack
      business people (and, if you're at CMU, check out the nudie
      pics)
  End of private providers yanking abuser's accounts

basicly, a nice editorial which sugar-coats what she wants, which is
the ability to send out what she wants, ensure that it gets to
everyone she sends it to, and not worry about flames or getting the
boot.

What's scary is that it's very easy to slide this kind of stuff onto
an ignorant and conservative legislature. Big leaders who want to do
good see an obvious good side to removing the ability to post
anonymously --- law enforcement can track people making drug
transactions, and if someone broadcasts a nudie pick found to be
obscene in TN, well hey, they can now haul his ass to TN for some jail
time. It's going to take a lot of lobbying to ensure that this doesn't
happen.

work: (206) 543-7798                                  Erik Selberg
play: (206) 517-3039                                  speed@cs.washington.edu

	     I get by with a little help from my friends...

Thread