1995-01-15 - Re: Draft of editorial to SF Chronicle

Header Data

From: “Ian Farquhar” <ianf@sydney.sgi.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2dcc95ec8d52cadea7472bc84ca437d01f0c893fc41a42ea1090abc97b126683
Message ID: <9501161049.ZM27032@wiley.sydney.sgi.com>
Reply To: <199501140623.WAA14448@netcom4.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-15 23:56:47 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 15 Jan 95 15:56:47 PST

Raw message

From: "Ian Farquhar" <ianf@sydney.sgi.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 95 15:56:47 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Draft of editorial to SF Chronicle

On Jan 13, 10:23pm, Raph Levien wrote:
> Negative response was immediate. The perpetrators were asked to stop,
> but they refused to. One Norwegian hacker took it upon himself to
> track down and "cancel" the offending messages. Most people on the Net
> considered this to be entirely appropriate.

It would probably be more accurate to say that there was little condemnation
of this action, and quite a groundswell of support for the move.

> A number of other self-promoting hucksters have sensed an opportunity,
> and have performed similar spams. In response, the Net evolved a
> defense mechanism to counter these spams and minimize the damage. The
> person currently serving this role is known by the pseudonym
> "CancelMoose." Almost everyone on the Net supports this effort, and
> agrees that it improves the overall value of Usenet.

Ditto.

> In many countries (and even China is on the Net these days), writings
> critical of the government, such as exposure of human rights abuses,
> are illegal. The authors face imprisonment, torture and death. By
> posting anonymously to the Net, the information can be brought safely
> to the attention of the world.

Perhaps mention the Russian coup, where the net became a conduite for
information leaving Moscow.  I remember a colleague of mine announcing
incidents which had occured within Moscow hours before the news services
broadcast them, simply by getting emails from a colleague nearby,

						Ian.

Thread