1995-01-18 - Re: Abuse and Remailer Ethics

Header Data

From: Homer Wilson Smith <homer@math.cornell.edu>
To: “Paul J. Ste. Marie” <pstemari@erinet.com>
Message Hash: 2dfa45697a383adb2c660bd68ec56d8cb12a793f43b3afa6bdcdf00774129599
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.950117212353.21124A-100000@math>
Reply To: <9501172343.AB11989@eri.erinet.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-18 02:25:10 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 17 Jan 95 18:25:10 PST

Raw message

From: Homer Wilson Smith <homer@math.cornell.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 95 18:25:10 PST
To: "Paul J. Ste. Marie" <pstemari@erinet.com>
Subject: Re: Abuse and Remailer Ethics

     This will only work if ALL posts have anonymous reply blocks
added, or if the posting only goes through one remailer, as there
is no way the first on the chain can know that the end destination
is a listserv, no?

     Homer

On Tue, 17 Jan 1995, Paul J. Ste. Marie wrote:

> At 10:27 PM 1/16/95 -0500, Jonathan Rochkind wrote:
> > ... So I'm tempted to say "tough luck" to newsgroups that
> >don't like receiving anonymous posts. The alternative is for people
> >interested to create a moderated newsgroup, where of course the moderator
> >could refuse to allow anonymosu posts with or without the remailer
> >operators cooperation. ...
>
> Another, and less onerous alternative, is to simply stick encrypted reply-to
> blocks on messages to newsgroups.  At that point there's no real difference
> between the anon post and a post from a system that doesn't provide real
> name<->userid mappings, and the flames can go straight from the newsgroup to
> the instigator without involving the remailer op.
>

>     --Paul J. Ste. Marie
>       pstemari@well.sf.ca.us, pstemari@erinet.com

Thread