1995-01-31 - RE: “bad” government

Header Data

From: Blanc Weber <blancw@microsoft.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3cb835d8c1691c86ba70076450d62a9c873018558d7f95f22c113c15b347bac8
Message ID: <9501311801.AA25120@netmail2.microsoft.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 31 Jan 95 10:01:23 PST

Raw message

From: Blanc Weber <blancw@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 95 10:01:23 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: RE: "bad" government

From: "Richard F. Dutcher"

What's your point?  Got a principle that *hasn't* been
used/abused?

The original statement I made was in response to Richard Moore, who was
wondering out loud why someone else on this list was "on the wrong
side";   I remarked in essence that he likewise is seemingly on that
side, as cryptography, in its development, is designed to serve the
purposes of individuals in disproportion to governmental control over it.

I'm not assuming that "privacy and protection from arbitrary power are
solely libertarian concerns" either.   Yet I don't need to "check out
the ACLU and Amnesty International ..." to understand the many
possibilities and dangers.

My remarks were intended to indicate that it isn't necessary to inspect
the varying degrees of comparative corruption or betterment in any of
the institutions which these political arguments encourage;  if you
understand full well the principle involved, or what it is that is
"wrong", then it shouldn't be too difficult to see the similar
impropriety wherever it becomes manifest.

     ..
Blanc

Thread