1995-01-12 - Re: Storm Signals

Header Data

From: mccoy@io.com (Jim McCoy)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3f65535eb4923684d711a6c2f24df77b1d4aa16456d1f514528a5b9f08105eb2
Message ID: <199501120100.TAA16301@pentagon.io.com>
Reply To: <199501112337.PAA20199@jobe.shell.portal.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-12 01:00:07 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 11 Jan 95 17:00:07 PST

Raw message

From: mccoy@io.com (Jim McCoy)
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 95 17:00:07 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Storm Signals

From some anonymous dude:

> > Military action also requires political will, and with the recent change
> > in power in the US govt there is no way anything is going to happen for at
> > least six months.  Freshmen congressmen do not sign off on a war the first
>

> True.  But clandestine operations don't require the approval of
> Congress.  In fact, the prez never has to admit they exist.  Ever.  Read
> the Pentagon Papers.

The president needs the approval of the ranking members of the Senate
Intelligence Oversight committee (I think that is the one), and there is at
least one republican among them...  Anyway, several thousand Green Berets
does not a clandestine operation make.  Secret wars are a bitch to pull
off, and with a president with the lack of backbone such as Clinton they
are not going to happen in the next two years.

jim

Thread