1995-01-29 - Re: Encrypted Magazine Subscriptions Via E-Mail?

Header Data

From: Michael Sattler <msattler@jungle.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4042926e1360a64cd516720016004859f2a6e482ddc518a5be54c3e9c6ce4384
Message ID: <v03001112ab50a87b4c14@[140.174.229.179]>
Raw Date: Sat, 28 Jan 95 18:23:29 PST

Raw message

From: Michael Sattler <msattler@jungle.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 95 18:23:29 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com

>>>why Wired ... don't [use PGP] to make subscribing easier?
>>
>> Because if you saw the low-tech state of the Wired office...
>
>Yup, too busy to automate. After all, if they took orders by email,
>they wouldn't need manual intervention. It all makes perfect
>sense. Why spend effort to lower the amount of time their staff need
>to spend on manual tasks? Makes more sense just to remain buried.

That a bunch of their staff is the minimum-wage "gee, look at my Mac" crowd
might have something to do with it.  I was amazed to find out that there
really are two sides to Wired: the professional computer geeks (eg.
Negroponte) and the professional get-a-magazine-out geeks, and the twain
never seem to meet.

Michael Sattler <msattler@jungle.com>       San Francisco, California  |
Digital Jungle Consulting Services     http://www.jungle.com/msattler/ |

And so these men of Indostan/ disputed long and loud/ each in his own  |
opinion/ exceeding stiff and strong/ though each was partly right/ and |
all were in the wrong! - John Godfrey Saxe                             |

Thread