1995-01-09 - Re: for-pay remailers and FV

Header Data

From: pstemari@erinet.com (Paul J. Ste. Marie)
To: sandfort@crl.com (Sandy Sandfort)
Message Hash: 4ffd7958c5fd7809337232b85d8c06cc03470889aed27251e18050cecd8b0651
Message ID: <9501092326.AA05351@eri.erinet.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 9 Jan 95 15:33:37 PST

Raw message

From: pstemari@erinet.com (Paul J. Ste. Marie)
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 95 15:33:37 PST
To: sandfort@crl.com (Sandy Sandfort)
Subject: Re: for-pay remailers and FV

At 03:53 PM 1/9/95, Doug Barnes wrote:
> ... Also, there is no reason on earth to take FV for payment under
>such a scheme, if one wishes to preserve anonymity, and not have
>to deal with the fraud/reversal factors. (The stamp issuer
>would not know which blind-signed stamps were issued to the
>turkey who reversed all his credit card transactions two months
>after buying them -- see various threads on this vis-a-vis
>using FV to buy blinded digital cash and why it won't work too
>well.)

> ... I don't see any reason to get FV involved, unless one were so lame
>as to be unable to get signed up directly with the credit card
>companies as a merchant -- a process of appropriate complexity
>to indicate the posession of at least one (1) clue, which is prob.
>desirable in someone who's going to be handling remailer finances

MC/Visa require the reversibility of transactions as a condition of their
merchant agreements.  It's not something peculiar to FV.  In fact, under
certain conditions it is mandated by federal law.  Escort services have a
similar problem as far as non-returnability goes, but I don't know how they
finesse their way around it.

    --Paul J. Ste. Marie
      pstemari@well.sf.ca.us, pstemari@erinet.com

Thread