1995-01-14 - Re: How do I know if its encrypted?

Header Data

From: Ben.Goren@asu.edu
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 50f3d7393ab90becaa92339d1d97301dda4d83f62a9c30a74ed0d6b0cb587d33
Message ID: <v02110112ab3ce2e1362c@[129.219.97.131]>
Raw Date: Fri, 13 Jan 95 18:17:34 PST

Raw message

From: Ben.Goren@asu.edu
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 95 18:17:34 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: How do I know if its encrypted?

At 6:58 PM 1/13/95, Eric Hughes wrote:
>   From: Ben.Goren@asu.edu
>
>   That of the data haven operator being able to deny knowledge of the
>   contents of files people send him. He'll only return files that, when
>   operated on by a strong cryptographic algorithm, make sense.
>
>This idea doesn't work for the purpose intended.  I'll upload straight
>ASCII.  When you ask for an decryption key, I'll make one up randomly,
>apply the decryption algorithm to the flat text, and send that back to
>you as a confirmation.
>[. . .]

Damn. I hate it when I overlook the obvious.

Still, I'd like to think there's an answer. Perhaps I'll keep thinking on it.

--
Ben.Goren@asu.edu, Arizona State University School of Music
 Finger ben@tux.music.asu.edu for PGP public key ID 0xCFF23BD5.

Thread