1995-01-29 - Re: Even more unix holy wars.

Header Data

From: wcs@anchor.ho.att.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5a90ae6e8c23be91f7fbf66eb4c577b78934f6efefd71ffb2bb625332d4a5817
Message ID: <9501290933.AA08361@anchor.ho.att.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 29 Jan 95 01:35:47 PST

Raw message

From: wcs@anchor.ho.att.com
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 95 01:35:47 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re:  Even more unix holy wars.

(Undeleting files is a security issue that's still got
_some_ tenuous connection to cypherpunks :-)

> How would I go around undeleting a file under Unix?  It's easy on the
> Mac.  Doing it under DOS is ugly, but it works.  But with unix, there
> is no way.

Sure there is.  Multiple ways, depending on your objectives.
All with different syntax, since this _is_ Unix :-)

The simple way, implemented by lots of universities, is a fake delete,
which actually renames or moves the file to some hidden location
instead of deleting it; the undelete program renames it back,
and there's a space-scavenger that genuinely deletes old
rename-deleted files after a few days.  Undeletes after that
consist of getting the file from tape backup.

While the System V filesystem doesn't save enough pointers to
guarantee getting complete files back from deletion (if the space
they used hasn't been reused already), there have been undeletes
that scrounge up the newest n blocks off the free list.  Of course,
those were the first blocks to get used in new files, so it wasn't
much use in a multi-user system, but it was there.  Besides,
disk drives on multi-user machines are always >95% full,
and often over 98% full, so deleted files are fair game anyway...

		Bill

Thread