1995-01-04 - NYT article and LaMacchia case

Header Data

From: rishab@dxm.ernet.in
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6db1f507aba6820f5c6b4440c3353bcfac402596aec220270970909710ac2824
Message ID: <gate.gsgayc1w165w@dxm.ernet.in>
Raw Date: Tue, 3 Jan 95 19:28:47 PST

Raw message

From: rishab@dxm.ernet.in
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 95 19:28:47 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: NYT article and LaMacchia case

Anon wrote:
> I want to publicly thank John Young for making articles available.  MOst of
> those articles I would not otherwise have seen.

I second that!

> that John offered.  Was there anyone in the world, well, in the cyberworld, who
> was fooled by the article on the Microsoft acquisition of the Catholic church?
> Anyone, who after reading that piece, considered anything other than the
> creativity of the author, should be committed to St. John's Home for the
> Desperately Dumb.

Notice that Microsoft was flooded with complaints only after Rush Limbaugh
read it on his show...

> However, there was something in that article that was of concern.  If the
> Massachusetts judge in the MIT student case actually said that he couldn't act
> because Congress had not enacted any laws, then it is for sure they will try to
> and they will try to act hurriedly.  Hurried actions by congress are even worse

The Reuters report said:
   Although U.S. District Court Judge Richard Stearns was critical of
   LaMacchia's actions, he ruled he could not be prosecuted under a wire fraud
   statute because it could result in a flood of actions against home computer
   users copying even single software programmes for their own use.

Anonymity had nothing to do with it. It was clear cut copyright law - which
wouldn't have hurt LaMacchia as he wasn't making anything out of it, so they
tried to hit him with wire fraud, and the Judge found _that_ untenable.

Rishab Aiyer Ghosh                                "In between the breaths is
rishab@dxm.ernet.in                                  the space where we live"
rishab@arbornet.org                                        - Lawrence Durrell
Voice/Fax/Data +91 11 6853410
Voicemail +91 11 3760335                 H 34C Saket, New Delhi 110017, INDIA

Thread