1995-01-30 - Re: alt.religion.your.operating.system.sucks

Header Data

From: Spif <c642011@cclabs.missouri.edu>
To: Dale Harrison <daleh@ix.netcom.com>
Message Hash: 6f4ceb47e9981d0b51894389b4b46eb57cff44164ab98617c8b835a4dabb85b0
Message ID: <Pine.SGI.3.91.950129224046.3652D-100000@sgi7.phlab.missouri.edu>
Reply To: <199501300427.UAA21533@ix3.ix.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-30 04:44:00 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 29 Jan 95 20:44:00 PST

Raw message

From: Spif <c642011@cclabs.missouri.edu>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 95 20:44:00 PST
To: Dale Harrison <daleh@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: alt.religion.your.operating.system.sucks

On Sun, 29 Jan 1995, Dale Harrison wrote:

> You wrote:
>
> >The only real barrier left to UNIX becoming the OS of choice is
> >commercial app support (things like word processors and etc. becoming
> >readily available and inexpensive).
>
> I don't mean to toss gasoline onto this fire, but......
>
> Unix as we know has a vanishingly small probability of ever becoming
> 'mainstream'. There's a two-orders-of-magnitude gap between the installed
> base of Dos/Windows and that of Unix. That gap has grown, not marrowed
> over time. This is however no reflection on the obvious technical merits
> of Unix. Market dominance is based not on technical superiority, but
> rather on technical sufficiency. Once an OS acheives technical
> sufficiency any further technical improvements will have a diminishing
> marginal effect on that OS's market performance. Once the OS is
> technically sufficient, non-technical factors begin to dominate. The
> market failure of WinNT is a classic example of this. Its failure is
> unrelated to its technical merits (or lack thereof), but rather on
> econmic and social factors the even a company withe the marketing muscle
> of MicroSoft has not yet been able to overcome. (OS/2 is of course an
> example of an even more dismal, perhaps terminal, failure for many of the
> same reasons.)

so your point, basically, is that the public will settle for whatever it
can get, and get easiest and cheapest, when it comes to software and
operating systems in particular.  This may be the case, but there is
certainly a growing market for internet-capable systems, and the most
internet-friendly OS around is, of course, UNIX.  In that fact, and in
the growing importance of having an OS that utilizes the full
capabilities of increasing powerful personal computers, lies the future
of UNIX.

    Bryan Venable               | c642011@cclabs.missouri.edu
    Student & MOO Administrator | wlspif@showme.missouri.edu
    U of Missouri - Columbia    | spif@pobox.com
    SGI/Netscape/MOO addict     | spif@m-net.arbornet.org
    Spif or Turmandir @ MOOs    | http://www.phlab.missouri.edu/~c642011

             <insert standard university disclaimer here>

Thread