1995-01-19 - Re: Key backup (was: How do I know . ..)

Header Data

From: eric@remailer.net (Eric Hughes)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7144f3ab3f577b0a2d5d8d2ff3b63d7131d44bdb9d308d798411778acfbed4a1
Message ID: <199501190338.TAA09099@largo.remailer.net>
Reply To: <199501181754.MAA24686@bb.hks.net>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-19 03:39:11 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 18 Jan 95 19:39:11 PST

Raw message

From: eric@remailer.net (Eric Hughes)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 95 19:39:11 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Key backup (was: How do I know . ..)

   From: "Dr. D.C. Williams" <dcwill@ee.unr.edu>

   Safe deposit boxes, by virtue of their accessibility to law enforcement,
   are subject to search and seizure under court order and are sealed
   in certain cases (probate). This makes them likely to be the first place
   to look when the Feds decide that we can't have keys anymore.

I am not designing systems for the paranoid fantasy of an inspection
of all safety deposit boxes by government agents in search of
contraband.

I am interested in designing systems which will fit into business as
usual, that are inconspicuous by their prevalance, and which will be a
part of ordinary and usual protection of data by cryptographic means.

Our goals appear to differ enough to preclude my continuing
involvement on this topic.

Eric

Thread