1995-01-06 - floating point crypto?

Header Data

From: rah@shipwright.com (Robert Hettinga)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7fabb7c94716b9ec63d72a3e1b901a9e72615d917d1f3c2d05ab8cd751bad870
Message ID: <v01510100ab3251fa70de@[199.0.65.105]>
Raw Date: Thu, 5 Jan 95 18:01:33 PST

Raw message

From: rah@shipwright.com (Robert Hettinga)
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 95 18:01:33 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: floating point crypto?

I'm incensed.

I casually mentioned somewhere else that I saw something on this list about
floating-point math being used in crypto, contrary to popular belief, and
somebody had the *timerity* to call me on it. ;-).

I think it had to do with factoring, but maybe even in key-generation,
though that doesn't sound right at all...

So, are there c-punk archives I could look in? I remember hearing something
about that, too.

However, if someone remembers off the top of their head, or if they have an
actual copy of the posting, that would be great, too.

Please send me whatever it is by e-mail. No point cluttering the list more
than I already have...

Of all the nerve....

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

Robert Hettinga  (rah@shipwright.com) "There is no difference between someone
Shipwright Development Corporation     who eats too little and sees Heaven and
44 Farquhar Street                       someone who drinks too much and sees
Boston, MA 02331 USA                       snakes." -- Bertrand Russell
(617) 323-7923

Thread